Lightning is the next generation of the Salesforce1 Platform, delivering a component framework and a new set of tools that allow channel partners and developers to roll out highly powerful and dynamic web apps, built for the mobile first. Apart from the ability to deliver a highly customized, power-packed UI, Lightning makes integrating data as well as automating key business processes a seamless procedure.
Fast and Easy App Development
Force.com and Heroku have already allowed developers to use the Salesforce platform to build worldclass employee and customer facing apps faster than ever before, using fewer resources. Lightning raises the bar considerably and extends such advantages to the mobile space in a big way. An IDC White Paper sponsored by Salesforce estimates that Lightning reduces the time needed to bring apps to market by 70 percent. In fact, Lightning is the fastest way to build mobile apps.
Lightning delivers quick and easy development using components. Lightning Components also make it very easy to offer extreme customization. So, what’s a component? A component is a collection of files. All the developer needs to do is select and add the relevant component for the required feature.
The advantages of speed, efficiency, resilience and ease-of-use through Lightning Components are realized in the following ways:
- Lightning Components have event-driven architecture that enables better decoupling between components. ‘Decoupling’ is different components remaining autonomous, or unaware of each other, allowing each component to perform its task independent of other components. Also, the buffer separates each component’s access to the memory, and this parallelism achieves high-performance.
- Lightning components are encapsulated. The internals stay private and users of a component view only its public shape. This offers developers the freedom to change the internal implementation details without such changes affecting users of other elements in the components. Encapsulation also helps to broaden and improve the overall development efficiency.
Lightning allows application development using drag-and-drop, without the need to write code. Needless to say, this revolutionizes the development space, making it possible for even novices and business managers with no coding experience to roll-out highly powerful apps. Here’s how it works:
- AppBuilder: The Lightning App Builder makes it possible for developers to build apps with customer UI visually, in a drag-and-drop format, without writing code. Developing apps becomes as simple as using the mouse to select the required Lightning components, either ready-made ones or custom-built ones, dragging such components to the required place in the canvas and dropping it. Once saved, the app appears on mobile devices with no further deployment. Hitherto developers worked in the blind, as they could only conjure in the mind how their code would appear in the screen. With the AppBuilder, developers get to see exactly what they are creating without the need for test-runs.
- Process Builder: The Lightning Process Builder makes it very easy to visualize, create and automate complex enterprise workflows. It offers point and click tools to add anything to the workflow, ranging from simple routines such as daily email dispatch settings, to complex processes such as employee onboarding, vendor procurement and order fulfillment.
- Schema Builder: The Lightning Schema Builder allows developers to visualize the data model and further simplify the development process considerably. Developers can now add new custom objects, fields and relationships by the same simple point and click method, without having to write code. This also spares the developer from spending hours managing and reformatting data in massive tables.
- Connect: Lightning Connect allows users to integrate data from multiple sources into a single interface, the using point-and-click, code-free mode. The benefit of integration extends to all enterprise data, whether stored in Salesforce or any external system. Connect simplifies an otherwise extremely arduous process that could extend to weeks or even months, and opens up a whole host of new possibilities. For instance, it improves visibility for users of the Salesforce Service Cloud1, allowing them to see data spread across the entire infrastructure as if it resides within the CRM. Another possibility is for employees to collect and analyze data in real-time, to deliver unique customer experiences. Connect makes it easier to leverage enterprise data to create innovative apps that closely match the needs of clients.
All these tools together make it possible to visualize the entire development process in one place.
Lightning apps are responsive and offer a consistent user experience. The Lightning Component framework supports the latest browser technology such as HTML5, CSS3, and touch events.
Lightning makes it very easy for developers to create responsive apps that pull in the screen size details from the device and format them accordingly. With the popularity of mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, phablets and wearables growing, and all these devices coming in virtually infinite screen sizes, responsive web design has become an essential function, and Lightning allows developers to get this done in double quick time, without too much effort.
The Salesforce1 Lightning Platform is already a trusted platform for big brands and the most innovative companies across the globe. A recent study sponsored by Salesforce estimates that the Lightning Platform delivers 50% faster design of new apps, 52% faster application deployment, all, at an overall 42% savings in IT costs.
The power of Lightning comes through its unique mix of powerful features with simplicity. It breaks down barriers of technology and makes it possible for developers to deploy highly powerful features and functionality in a simple way, very often requiring just a few mouse clicks. The need for coding is reduced drastically and even novices can now roll out high quality apps. For businesses, Lightning provides the freedom to manage their business, without spending too much on developing apps. To learn more about how we can make lightning work for you, do get in touch: email@example.com